Five Essential Casting Skills
Start out with learning Fly Casting Basics
The Five Casting Essentials
for Single Hand Rods*
Originally developed by Bill & Jay Gammels
Adopted by Fly Fishers International
1. There can't be ANY slack line during the casting stroke.
2. There MUST BE a stop and a pause at the end of each stroke.
3. The Casting Arc MUST vary with the amount of line beyond the rod tip.
4. Application of power MUST OCCUR in the proper amount, at the proper
place, in the casting stroke.
5. During the casting stroke, the rod tip MUST travel in a straight line path
* Single Hand rod users using Spey casting techniques DO NOT adhere to a "Stop and a Pause" (#2 above), to achieve successful casts. Spey casting techniques use both airbourne and waterborne anchors in conjunction with dynamic "D" loops to load the rod. Learn more about Two-Handed Spey casting.